Enter by the Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14

June 18, 2012

Abiding in Love

If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever  you wish and it will be given you. John 15:7

I love the thought of abiding in Jesus!  It conjures up a picture of a safe home, all warm and snugly.  It’s safe, peaceful and happy.  The walls of this strong abiding place are made of God’s words.  They guard me and they fill me with contentment and joy because they are so good.

Psalm 23 is a wonderful picture of abiding for me.  The Lord is my shepherd...I shall not be left lacking in any way... He makes me lie down in green pastures...He leads me beside quiet waters...He restores my soul... I feel protected, provided for, cared about....

John 15:9  “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.  Now abide in my love.” 

2 Peter 1:3  "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us...  "Everything I need...through knowing him...

2 Corinthians 1:20  "For no matter how many promises God has made they are "Yes" in Christ."    God promised and He says "yes" to me. 

1 Corinthians 1:9  "God who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord is faithful."  God sought me out and called me and is faithful to me!

Hebrews 7:24 & 25"  ...because Jesus lives forever.... he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them."  Jesus does the saving, and he prays for me...

Bald Head Island, NC
Notice how it is God who is doing something good for us in these verses.  Abiding is not about us doing something right, it's about what God has done for us and has promised to us.  Abiding is peaceful and restful, not fretful or anxious or harried or frustrated.  It's the opposite of "doing" or "trying".  It's knowing who I am to God and who God is to me.

God initiates this intimate relationship, but abiding is a two-way street.  Because Jesus has made his home with me I can make my home with him. 

Jesus relates abiding with asking and receiving in the opening verse above (John 15:7).  A heart in this protected, secure position is not likely to feel compelled to inform God of troubles that He is unaware of.  It doesn't make sense to plead or beg for my will to be done.  Even if I'm in great distress, deep down I know that the realities of my situation will eventually take a back seat to the reality of God on his throne.  The most real eternal part of my being, my spirit, is in his presence and the rest of me, though it may not be so aware at first, will get on board with that reality the more I abide in His love.

So how do we think about reality?  We live in two realities -  the world and the Kingdom of God. We are in the world but not of the world.  Our bodies are physical like the world around us.  They experience its pains and pleasures.  Our souls interpret all that comes in from the world and from our body itself.  Our souls think thoughts, feel feelings and make choices about them.  Our souls can focus on obvious temporal realities and on invisible spiritual realities.  Jesus is telling us that as we remain in and dwell on the spiritual reality, we will ask for things that God can freely give us.  We will ask according to His will and see His will done.  How exciting that is!
 
on the way to Zion National Park, Utah
Abiding in Jesus and his words results in praise and thanks as I am reminded that God is good and He does good things.  He is sovereign over everything.  He is not surprised by events even though I am. There are no coincidences or accidents that God is not aware of and able to deal with.  He pursues me in love, calling to me and wooing me in my deserts.  I can worship this God who is that powerful and loves me that much!   My heart comes into harmony with God's heart and cooperation with the agenda of His Kingdom.  I ask and He answers, and I see things working together for good because I do love the Lord and I am called according to his purposes.  What a wonderful cycle!

We may not always understand, but we know Him and we know He knows us.  Abiding is an expression of the reality that nothing can separate us from His love.

2 comments:

  1. I've always struggled with the first verse you shared, John 15:7, the part about "ask whatever you wish and it will be given to you." Thanks for bringing more clarity to it. I have a feeling that I will be returning to read this post from time to time as the things of this world scream for attention and action. I have heard abiding be compared to lying in bed with your full weight against the mattress. And all you are doing is just resting - resting in God. I love how you put it, "It's knowing who I am to God and who God is to me." That's what I want to focus on- not the things of this world. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melanie, I like the picture of lying on a mattress... And don't you love the scriptures? This morning, the Lord led me to this: "But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me." Psalm 131:2

      Delete