Enter by the Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14

May 28, 2012

An answer

It's been a few days since I started asking the Lord what he wanted me to know about his promise of doing "greater works than these", and I think I have something to share. 

First, here is the verse again:  John 14:12 "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."  It's always good to read the context, so the following verses (13 and 14) are:  "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."  These words in John come at the Last Supper after Jesus has washed his disciples feet.  Jesus is responding to a request that he show them the Father.

My Bible cross references verse 12 with Luke 10:17 which says "The seventy-two returned with joy and said, 'Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.'" which is cross referenced with Mark 16:17 which says "And these signs will accompany whose who believe:  In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

So I found that these "greater things" include exercising authority over demons and other miraculous manifestations of supernatural power.  We know the promise was fulfilled in the early church and such things are going on today.  My question for the Lord is about how this applies to me (and to us) personally.

the light house at Corolla, NC
When I prayed, parts of Romans came to mind so I started reading at Chapter 5 with the promise of doing the things Jesus did as my frame of reference.  I couldn't get away from this verse:  "For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5:17)  It's talking about reigning.

It says that death reigned before Christ died for us.  We were subject to everything that came along with being cut off from life with God, and this eventually leads to death.  Apart from being restored to spiritual connection with God, we fall into disease, depraved thinking, deep isolation and fear.  But because of "God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness" through Jesus, we are not only fully alive, but we are able to reign in life.

The more I think about that the more huge it seems.  If we know that we are meant to be reigning in life "through the one man, Jesus Christ" we are hard to deceive and hard to intimidate and hard to accuse.  We can advance in the purposes of our lives as we understand them through prayer and our relationship with God. "I am redeemed and the enemy cannot touch me!"  "I am forgiven and arrows of shame have no place to stick."  "I belong and I am known, loved and favored by the God of the universe."  "I am confident in using the gifts and talents I have been given."
"...we are more than conquerors through him who loved us" Romans 8:37
This is the attitude that the enemy cannot stand.  He wants to steal, kill and destroy.  But with the knowledge and conviction that we are in Christ and he is in us, we can literally push back the darkness.  We do it by loving others, by bringing creative ideas and solutions to problems, by forgiving, by including someone who is lonely, by instilling Biblical truth in children, by praying with faith, by blessing and calling out the potential in others.

hot springs flowing into the Rio Grande
None of this comes as a result of our own work, lest we begin to feel burdened that God places these expectations on his children.  No, no, no!  These things well up in us and flow out as we enjoy our belovedness, rest in unassailable security, and learn to abide in the peace we have with God through what Christ did for us.*

Ongoing, courageous faith in Jesus is the key that unlocks full transformation into a life of doing the things he did.  He is the light that overcomes the darkness in us and the darkness around us.  We are equipped to reign in life through Jesus and there is no telling where that can lead!

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may...praise your Father in heaven" Matt. 5:16
*Romans 5:1 "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ"

No comments:

Post a Comment