Enter by the Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14

May 20, 2012

A prayer for help!


Even in a solid relationship, because we are growing, there are times when faith falters.  It is normal, as far as I can see, for to God allow things to touch my life that push me beyond the level of faith that I am comfortable in.  He lets this happen so that my faith can grow and areas of unbelief can be revealed.

Does that mean He is challenging me to deal with more and be stronger?  Not at all!  It is an opportunity to know Him more as the strong, attentive, faithful one on my behalf. 

One thing that helped so much was when a brother in Christ told me that the "secret" to remaining unafraid was knowing God's presence with me in everything.  If I can know Him as He truly is, and then remember that He is always there to hold my hand, hold me up, fight my battles, comfort me and heal my wounds, then I can let go of the fear of being out of control.  In fact, I can learn to ride along with the wind blowing through my hair, messing it all up, and look at the scenery.


There are times, though, when it can seem like disaster has fallen upon us.  There are times when no one remains unshaken.  And as I write this, I am reminded of Jesus in Gethsemane. Mark 14:33-34 says Jesus was deeply distressed, troubled, overwhelmed with sorrow, and Luke (22:43-44) says he was in anguish so that "an angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him" in prayer.

In the following passage we hear a crying out prayer made at a desperate time.  Prayers like this one, preserved for us in the Bible, have carried me through some very hard times.  I hope it encourages you .

Psalm 143:7-12

 "Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit fails.

Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit.








Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love.

Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.












Rescue me from my enemies, O Lord, for I hide myself in you.









Teach me to do your will, for you are my God;

may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.









For your name's sake, O Lord, preserve my life;





in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble.









In your unfailing love, silence my enemies;







destroy all my foes, for I am your servant."



Psalm 143:7-12

No comments:

Post a Comment