Enter by the Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14

July 13, 2012

Standing Firm

Have you ever been just zipping along the path of life, and wham - you are hit by something you never saw coming?  It could be a shiver of unexplained anxiety or a paralyzing dread; a melancholy mood, or a black hole of depression; a disappointment; a crushing diagnosis; an accident.  I wonder if your first thought is "I am so loved and blessed by God!" ?  Well, maybe not, but the command to "stand firm" is about getting there as soon as possible.

weapons of earthly warfare; White Sands, NM
We definitely have an enemy called the “father of lies” and our “adversary” and “accuser” who wants to separate us from our comfort and strength in God anytime he can.  Whether or not he is involved in the events that happen, he is behind every attack on our faith in Christ.  His Word says that “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12, ESV).

Christ triumphed over him by the cross (Col 2:15)
We who have put our trust in Jesus know that God's love is as important to our life and well-being as is the air we breathe.  We can survive physically without love, but we only thrive as living souls when we are loved well and have enough to give away to others.

Before we know God, the spiritual forces of evil fight to keep us fearful of Him, doubtful of His love, blind to Jesus, feeling unworthy, guilty, rejected, and/or angry, rebellious and proud.  Beyond the narrow gate of eternal life they still seek to distort and disrupt the relationship that has been established with our Father by drawing our focus to shame of our shortcomings, attempts to earn acceptance and love, and dependence on ourselves to find meaning and satisfaction in life.

Our Father knows that we are vulnerable to the enemy's lies and schemes.  The Bible is filled with encouragement and truth, and examples to ground us in His unfailing love.  Ephesians 6:10-18 describes God's provision for protection in terms of supernatural armor.  In this passage God commands us (through Paul) to stand firm and God doesn't command unless He gives us the means to obey.

God's love is a strong tower
Standing firm became a clear, powerful and effective weapon for me when I saw that it just meant "hold fast to the love of God for you".  It's not about my behavior and whether I've made the right choices, or whether I feel strong or weak, good or bad, because my actions and my attitudes will falter.

“Stand firm, then with the belt of truth buckled around your waist”.  The truth is, God’s love is not conditional.  He is with me always.  Because Jesus took all the penalty of my sin, He will never leave me or forsake me.  I belong to Him and in His family.  Every promise in the Bible is “yes and amen” for me because I'm His child (2 Corinthians 1:20)!

“With the breastplate of righteousness in place”.  My righteousness is from Christ in me.  He met every requirement of the law for me – it is as if I have fulfilled the law in God’s sight.  It is as if I never sinned.  This is my position in Christ.  It is unassailable.  All the enemy can do is lie to me and hope that I will believe him.  He is quick to accuse when I fall short, but it doesn't matter because God loves me and nothing can separate me from that love -- ever.  God's love is my lifeline and He is holding on to me.  How simple that is.  How profoundly and powerfully true. 

2 Corinthians 1:21
Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ.
James 5:8
"You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near"
2 Chronicles 20:17
You will not have to fight this battle.  Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem..."
Exodus 14:13
Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today..."
1 Corinthians 16:13
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong..."
Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you...

No comments:

Post a Comment