Enter by the Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14

February 21, 2012

Freedom


celebrating freedom!
 Let's look at freedom, then.   Don't most people associate freedom with doing what they want?  I doubt that most people would think of religion and freedom having much in common.  When I was a new Christian and I began going to Bible study in earnest, I saw everything through the lens of rule-following.  If you want "success" in life, then follow these rules.  These are God's rules so they are the best ones.  Invest in them and you will be happier and a better person.  That was my paradigm and I "heard" the Word of God through it.


Ironically, the first Bible study I joined was studying Paul's letters, and the first book I studied was Galatians which is all about freedom in Christ.  That obviously went right over my head!  I'm thinking of what remarkable things Paul wrote to this church:
"All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written;  'Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law'."  (Gal. 3:10/my emphasis added)
"I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing."  (Gal. 2:21)


So if following the rules is not the way, what is it?  Paul tells us what really happens (again, the emphasis is mine):
Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts...Gal.4:6a 
But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. Gal.5:5
But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under law. Gal.5:18


The result, or fruit, of the Spirit of God's Son in our hearts is this:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." (Gal. 5:22-23a)

To me, the freedom God offers means freedom from striving to be good, and freedom from the fears and anxieties I used to have.  It also means freedom to let the Spirit do his transforming work in me, and freedom to know and rely on God's LOVE for me.  No wonder Paul is so passionate in this letter to the Galatians.

"the righteous will live by faith" Rom 1:17
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Gal. 5:1)  

Thankfully, I have come to understand that I do not stand firm in certain standards of behavior, but in faith and trust in God's ability to make me into the daughter He wants me to be.  By grace, I will not be moved from that hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment