Enter by the Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14

February 19, 2012

Before and After?

the river at a restful place
What is the life we enter beyond the narrow gate of salvation through Jesus Christ?  I can think of several scenarios based on experience (my own and others'):  times of joy over what God has done;  times of strength (or disillusionment) when difficulties are encountered;  anxiety over whether or not we live up to the expectations of sons and daughters of God; temptation to take pride in our belonging; or times of living no differently than before salvation. 
 

I want to stop right here and say that I am not planning to write about how I am learning to do a better job of living the Christian life nor to offer suggestions on how you can do so either.  What I get excited about sharing is what God says He has done for me and for you, and what that means for us day to day. 

I prayed about what to call this blog.  I never thought about a name until I tried to sign up and it was the first question asked!  I prayed and flipped through my Bible for inspiration, and the scripture about the narrow gate caught my attention.  Walking with Jesus is a different life than going along with the world, but the idea of narrowness being restrictive and my new life of increasing freedom in Christ was very intriguing.  I knew I wanted to explore this and write about it.  I wanted to write about what God has done and says about it to his children and the heirs of His kingdom.  It's about what happens beyond the gateway, and it is such good news!

I searched for the life I read about and heard preached about for a very long time.  It was illusive and there it always seemed there was something I needed to do.   And to tell the truth, that appealed to me.  If there was something I could do, then I would do it!  I wanted peace and joy and contentment and purpose and significance. I wanted to be rid of sadness and a mild sort of hopelessness about myself.  I believed the claims that this was possible.  I wanted to conquer fear and to do something with my life that would satisfy my soul.

But happily I was delivered from all that.  All that was about me.  The answer was all about God. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your introduction to grace. Yes! It's all about what He has done and looking at Him. We writers just have a burning desire to get it out on paper. I really enjoy reading your blog. I love reading how grace has changed your life too. So glad you mentioned your blog again. I missed it somehow the first time.

    ReplyDelete