Enter by the Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14

January 19, 2013

Counting it all joy

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”   James 1:2-3 ESV
 
spring sage blooming in the desert
This is not a verse that I would have thought of writing about.  That is because I haven't really counted my trials as joy, and it reminds me that at times I have failed to even agree with this command!  It’s not that I didn’t want to be joyful (remember that I like to do it right!), but a new friend just opened my eyes to what James is saying in a way that is making sense to my heart.

What we are to count as joy is becoming perfect and complete, lacking in nothing!    Now that is something to celebrate!  The trials are the conditions of life that invite us to dig into God’s word, to believe what we find, to choose what we will do with it, to stand firm, to pray.  They highlight our need for more than our own strength and if they continue, we begin to develop perseverance, or steadfastness.  It is the standing firm with steadfastness that brings maturity.  It is the digging deeper that perfects us.

The friend that shared this is a breast cancer survivor of 13 years who found out over Christmas that the cancer has returned, metastasized to her bones.  If she can count it all joy, I am listening!

Then the next morning I read this in Jesus Calling, my devotional:  “I am leading you along the high road, but there are descents as well as ascents….Learn to trust Me when things go “wrong.”  Disruptions…highlight your dependence on Me.  Trusting acceptance of trials brings blessings that far out weigh them all.”  (page 19) 
steep hiking in Bryce Canyon

What I am hearing from the Lord is a very simple way to improve my perspective on life’s challenges and heartaches.  It is to consider them the pathway that is taking me, hand in hand with Jesus, to becoming complete, lacking in nothing.  They are not random, they are not bad luck, or punishment, or because God doesn’t love me as much as someone else.  They are things He allows (or puts) on the path we are walking together.  He meets them with me and endures them with me, and holds the outcome in His loving hands.  My response can be fear, or frustration, or despair, or it can be continued trust with thanksgiving for who He is with me.  And it can be worship!

photo sent in an email (source unknown)
I love these words from a song we sing at church:  “The sun comes up, it’s a new day dawning, time to sing my song again.  Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes!  Bless the Lord o my soul, o my soul, worship His holy Name!  Sing like never before, o my soul, worship His holy Name.” (Ten Thousand Reasons (Bless the Lord) by Jonas Myrin & Matt Redman).

A couple of months ago I would not have thought that this was an issue for me because I was rocking along pretty well.  But God, in His perfect wisdom, saw fit to introduce a challenge that pulled deeper unbelief to the surface.  This was really a gift to be counted as joy because it exposed things that needed to be dealt with.  The great thing was that even though I felt negative emotions connected with unbelief, I knew where to run and I ran straight to Jesus.  It doesn’t matter what our reaction is as long as we know where to go with it!  I poured out my heart – every fear, every doubt, and then let Jesus talk!  Now that the dust has settled over that issue (which hasn’t gone away at all), I am grateful to receive a deeper perspective on what it means to count it all joy.

I have tasted and seen that my true joy is the Presence of Jesus himself.  He is the only One who can answer every question and satisfy my heart.  I do not want to be robbed of that joy with Him just because this world is fallen.  Who is in charge here, anyway?  Jesus is Lord and He is mine!  He is yours.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this for the second time and it won't be the last. I know those truths deep down (that you shared), but my attitudes, feelings, actions don't always reflect that truth. I long for my outside to reflect my inside - an assurance of God's perfect love and care for me in this fallen world.

    Not too long ago, I experienced God running after me; not me running after Him. It was so beautiful to experience in a fresh way, "we love because He first loved us." It has led to a deeper "understanding" of James 1:2-3.

    Thank you, dear friend for sharing something that ministered greatly to me.

    ReplyDelete